With shows like Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop gaining popularity with the masses; many people have began to think that they too can DIY their home remodel. What shows like Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop always show is that they themselves will hire out contractors to help with renovations. Yes, you can DIY some things, but shows like Nate and Jeremiah By Design show us that not everything can be DIY’d. So when should you DIY your home remodel or hire a professional? Here are some tips.
- Your project is small and is something that doesn’t require a long time to learn.
- Doing cosmetic changes, i.e., changing paint color, doorknobs, cabinets, etc.
- You are not a perfectionist and can accept that the project looks good enough.
- You have right power tools and materials to complete the job.
Hire a Professional if;
- The project requires any form of demolition.
- The risks are too high if you make a mistake.
- Anything to do with plumbing and electrical.
- Planning to add value to the house before selling.
DIY can save money, but it is not always the best option and sometimes, it might cost you more than anticipated. So before you decide to start a home remodeling project, give us a call and weigh the cost of DIY-ing vs hiring a professional.